Dependencies for API for database query

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Aug 30 07:38:00 BST 2020

Prasun,

On Samstag, 29. August 2020 22:45:51 CEST Prasun Kumar wrote:

> Hi mentors,
> The KServiceTypeTrader::query() and other similar methods require the
> KF5::Service library
> ftom the KF5Service package. I have observed that this also adds a
> dependency on Qt libraries.
> But it was suggested to avoid such scenario:
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-finance-apps/2020-May/000824.html.

That is true, but from my understanding it is relevant for the user
of the ktoblzcheck library only. So for KF5 based applications using
the library such dependency is OK, others will have to use different
mechanism.

In case such dependencies exist, you can make them optional using
cmake commands (e.g. find_package(KF5)) and don't build them if KF5
is not found. That should be the same for different environments, e.g.
GTK may provide other ways and dependencies that should not be build
in case the library is build in an environment that does not have GTK.

> So, should I proceed with these dependencies?

I hope the above makes some sense. Maybe, Ralf can has some more
ideas here which he can share.

I will be traveling all day long, so answers will take a bit longer
today.

Thomas Baumgart

Selecting your Linux distro is like selecting your partner:
a very individual process.