[Kde-finance-apps] Stock Quotes: Status Update

Brian Cappello briancappello at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 09:59:30 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,
Sorry it's been so long since my last update... My bad on that.
Unfortunately I never knew much of anything about SQL or ever used any
database before, so that kinda took longer-than-expected to understand and
get working. And DBus is still kicking my ass. :/ Here's an overview of
where I'm at:
* The code has been split up into two programs, a frontend and a backend.
The frontend currently doesn't connect to the backend.
* The backend uses SQLITE to store downloaded information. By default, it
downloads and stores the symbol, company name, date, open, high, low, close,
volume, and market cap.
* The backend supports asynchronous downloads, with the caveat of not being
able to start multiple simultaneous downloads with different data for the
*same* symbol. (currently the backend has no protection against this, it
will segfault)
* The backend "sort of" has *really* preliminary DBus support. I tried to
copy how it CurConvD implemented DBus, and it "works", but I'm pretty sure
using QtDBusAdapters is the preferred way of doing things. I'm still in
reading mode for that, but for now, there's a testbackend.sh included in the
backend directory that shows the preliminary DBus functionality - all that's
supported is initializing a symbol and retreiving a QString with the
symbol's entire data row from the database.. The backend must be running
first for this to work.
* The backend can be built as a Qt-only QCoreApplication as well as a
KApplication, but for some reason DBus doesn't work with the Qt-only code,
so by default the KApplication main.cpp and CMakeLists.txt are used.
* The code builds fine, at least on my machine, but I'm not sure if it
installs correctly, and the backend doesn't yet have support for starting
on-demand if a DBus client wants it to.

The updated code is on git. Hopefully it falls somewhere closer to
"something function" than "crap," but what do I know. Feel free to critique
or mention where I'm being dumb :)
git clone git://gitorious.org/quote/quotebackend.git
I don't know the first thing about using git, so... I can't figure out how
to delete old files/folders from the gitorious server, even though I've
committed the deleted changes on my local branch. Anyways, its maybe time I
applied for a SVN account... So for now, just delete the build directory and
ignore all the files in the top-level directory.

Next steps:
* Create a new visual Class Diagram.
* Get some DBus Adaptor code working.
* Polish existing DBus interfaces.
* Figure out how to get client DBus code working.
* Improve downloaded data read formatting, and add support for more keys.
* Figure out how to make the StatsManager code more "plug-in-able"
* Maybe use a QSqlTableModel for handling data editing/retreival, instead of
low-level SQL queries.

Regards,
Brian