[Kde-finance-apps] Action items

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:35:38 CET 2010

Hello all,
here are some action items that I can think of to get moving with the group.

- Common icons
- Common terms/glossary
- Spring meeting
- Workflow integration (FinanceStack)
- Code reuse/plugins

I think this covers a lot more than we can do in a year, but we have
to start with something.

Techbase page of the group. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KdeFinance
Whatever we start working on, we should put the info up there for
everyone to see.

- Common icons http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KdeFinanceCommonIcons
Guillaume and me started putting together a list of icons we use, with
the aim of going toward a common set. The ones we identify as missing,
we will request the Oxygen team to provide them.
Also, we have existing icons that we should request them to add to the
Oxygen set.

- Common terms http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KdeFinanceGlossary
We feel it's important to try and use a common set of terms. An
account should mean the same whatever the application, regardless of
the features provided by the specific application. If we want to
integrate and work as a group, this will make life easier for
everyone. (developers, users, translators)

There is a start of a glossary there. More terms should be added as we
discover overlapping among apps.

- Spring meeting
The idea at this point is to have a 3-4 days meeting this spring.
Since it will be our first, our guess is that it will be more of an
analysis, brainstorming meeting that a development/hacking one.
Ideally, it will set the foundation for more developer sprints over
time.

- Code reuse/plugins
This has been mentioned by several people already and I see this as an
opportunity to cross swords and see how well we work together in the
short term.
For example, both Skrooge and KMyMoney have some kind of online
banking and some kind of online quote (for shares, mutual funds, etc)
Adding reminders to PIM applications via Akonadi is another common feature.

What if we move all those features to a common set of code, and each
application only handles the communication between the app and the
plugin?
I see this as similar to what KIPI plugins do today for Digikam,
Gwenview, et al.

- Workflow Integration
Otherwise known as FinanceStack. This is an idea that came up some
months ago, to integrate our apps.
eg. KMyMoney records a sale transaction, the invoice is issued by
Kraft, and when it is payed, it is informed back to KMM.

All the common data and the necessary flow logic would be stored in a
common engine, where the apps can connect to get data from/to other
finance apps.
I see this kind of as the Akonadi of KDE Finance.

Each of these items is a world by itself, so the discussions should be
handled in different threads. Also, each has its own timeline and
participants.
What I want to agree on is the agenda.
Are there any other subjects you think we should discuss in the short term?

Regards,
Alvaro