[Kde-extra-gear] KDE 3.2?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon May 17 15:41:28 CEST 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 02:37, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> >   This is a problem for Kst.  Almost all of our users use KDE 3.1, at
> > least half of our developers use KDE 3.1, and I don't foresee that
> > changing any time soon.  Why can't we make a system whereby the
> > individual applications choose their minimum requirement and are removed
> > from compilation if those requirements are not met?
>
> You are talking about users that run a CVS version of Kst? We discussed
> this a while ago, the above policy was the result. It's a compromise
> really, I can understand you want to require KDE 3.1 instead of KDE 3.2 as
> long as possible.
>
> Note that the problem only arises for CVS users, packagers can (and should)
> modify the configure.in.in themselves. This way this problem shouldn't
> arise for the bulk of the users.
>
> If you have a more elegant solution, I would be happy to learn about it.

   I need to discuss with the Kst users and developers to see what they think.
The problem is that there are regular users who use Kst from CVS, including
on Mac OS X and other unique platforms that may lag behind Linux support in
KDE.  There are also users who have locked down platforms and changing KDE
version is not an option.  Editting scripts may not always be easy for them.

   A better solution is to enable or disable on a per-application basis.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/