[kde-edu]: GSoC (TM) Student - Kalzium 3D Molecular Editor

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Mon May 14 23:49:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am new to the list and Pino suggested that I should introduce myself to you
guys. My name is Marcus and I am in the final stages of completing my PhD
work in Sheffield, England. I work with gold nanoparticles and thin films in
my day job.

I have been a Gentoo developer for a few years now, working mainly on KDE,
scientific applications and AMD64 porting. I will be giving a talk at this
year's aKademy on Gentoo & KDE too. I hope to meet lots of other KDE
developers at the conference and will be around all week.

If you ever want to check out what I am up to my blog is at
http://blog.cryos.net/ I have asked for it to be added to Planet KDE so
hopefully it will be aggregated there soon. I have a degree in Physics and
have always loved computers, coding and got into open source software in
about 1996 with Red Hat 5ish (if I remember right).

My accepted application abstract can be viewed here,

http://code.google.com/soc/kde/appinfo.html?csaid=3EBDFAAF85EFFA00

This is my dream project where I get to combine my love of open source
software, KDE, Qt, C++, cool OpenGL 3D stuff and molecular visualisation :) I
am really looking forward to the summer and have already been working on my
project for a few weeks so that we can get some of the new features into KDE
4.0 before the big freeze.

Once I find my feet and get a little more free time (currently finishing my
thesis) I would like to contribute to KDE in a more general sense (as well as
packaging it for Gentoo). I have been wanting to get more involved in KDE
development for quite some time and saw this project as a great way to get
started. I do intend to continue contributing well beyond the summer and am
really excited by many of the new features being implemented in KDE 4.

I think that is enough about me for now. I hope that my contributions are well
received and am sure I will learn lots during the summer. I look forward to
meeting some of you at aKademy soon too :)

Thanks,

Marcus