[kde-edu]: Intent to move Marble into KDE-EDU

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Mar 7 19:28:34 CET 2007

A Dimecres 07 Març 2007, Torsten Rahn va escriure:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Most people might be aware of it already but I'd like to formally express
> my intention to move Marble into KDE-EDU.
>
> Marble is a generic geographical widget providing a globe that people can
> browse the world with. I recently added support for coordinate grids and
> started Wikipedia integration.

How is wikipedi integration done? Are you parsing the html or using the
webservices api?

> I also started ways to measure distances
> between placemarks. Some recent screenshots:
>
> http://developer.kde.org/~tackat/marble/marble13.png
> http://developer.kde.org/~tackat/marble/marble12.png
>
> I'm currently aiming for a move to kdereview within the next 10 days and a
> move into kde-edu once (right in time for KDE 4.0) the review weeks have
> passed.
>
> By that time Marble should have also basic KDE-fication which would include
> - saving maps (in png)
> - printing maps
> - copying maps into the clipboard
> - proper docs
> - proper cmake inclusion
>
> So if everything goes well, the first (already very stable) inclusion of
> Marble into kde-edu should happen around April 2nd.
>
> This would still be right in time for the feature freeze on May 2nd and
> offer enough time to solve remaining issues and take possible slipping into
> account.
>
> I already talked with Albert in the past about maybe sharing funcionality
> with KGeography in the future in some way. Whatever the solution will look
> like, I personally think that this can only be fully addressed after KDE
> 4.0 has been released. Currently KGeography uses basically bitmaps to store
> and display data which is pretty inefficient in terms of flexibility as
> well as filesize.

Well, i agree it's wrong in filesize, but imho the format is flexible enough,
i mean, i have 47 maps on SVN contributed by people != me and some more
(around 20) lying in the HD waiting to be checked and commited.

BTW i'm not saying i'm against kgeography using marble's code, i'm just not
sure if it is really easier defining vector data than drawing a pixel map, of
course a pixel map is limited to a given size and vector data has the huge
benefit of allowing free resize of the image.

I'm not sure i make any sense...

Albert