Help for the systemsettings program

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Wed Jul 13 21:19:35 BST 2022

I'm trying to understand where all the pieces of the documentation for "System
Settings" can be found.

-- If I start up system settings and search through all the options, I am
dirceted to 46 different help files in toto.
1 from the Help menu
8 from the "Appearance" sub-menu ("Global Themes", "Icons", & "Launch
Feedback" have no help button)
5 from "Workspace Behavior" (no help for "Desktop Effects" or "Virtual
Desktops")
2 from "Window Management" (no help button for "Kwin Scripts" or "Window
Rules")
2 from "Shortcts"
2 from "Startup and Shutdown" (no help for "Login Screen" or "Autostart")
2 from "Search" (no help for "Plasma Search")
1 from "Notifications"
3 from "Regional Settings" (no help for "Language")
1 from "Accessibility"
2 from "Applications" (No help for "Default Applications")
1 from "KDE Wallet"
5 from "(Network) Settings"
3 from "Input Devices" (No help for "Touchpad")
2 from "Display and Monitor" (No help button for "Display Configuration", nor
for  "Night Color")
1 from "Multimedia"
3 from "Power Management"
2 from "Removeable Storage"

So on my system (Gentoo), there are 45 help files for System Settings Modules,
plus the main System Settings help file. There could potentially be 65 help
files associated with "System Settings" -- the 46 enumerated above, plus the
15 sub-categories with no help button, and four more main categories (Users,
Online Accounts, Connections, and About This System) with no subcategories and
no help button (those four categories are not listed above).

-- When KHelpCenter starts up, a list of "System Settings Modules" is
selectable in the leftmost pane, right under "Application Manuals". This list
contains 22 items. Two of these items, "Connection Preferences" and "Virtual
Desktops", have no associated help file, and there is no help button on the
corresponding System Settings category. "Desktop Effects" has a help file
associated with it, but there is no help button in System Settings -->
Workspace Behavior --> "Desktop Effects". Therefore only 19 of the items in
the index list are "real". So 26 (= 45 - 19) of the help files for "modules"
are not included in the index list, although they should be. Here are the
missing entries.

>From "Appearance": "Application Style", "Plasma Style", "Colors", "Fonts",
"Cursors", "Font Management", and "Splash Screen" (7)
>From "Desktop Behavior": "General Behavior" and "Activities" (2)
>From "Shortcuts": "Shortcuts" (1)
>From "Startup and Shutdown": "Background Services" and "Desktop Session" (2)
>From "Search: "File Search" (1)
>From "Notifications": no sub-categories (1)
>From "Regional Settings": "Formats. "Spell Check", and "Date & Time" (3)
>From "Accessibility": no sub-categories (1)
>From "Applications": "File Associations" and "Locations" (2)
>From "Input Devices": "Keyboard", "Mouse", and "Game Controller" (3)
>From "Display and Monitor": "Gamma" (1)
>From "Removable Storage": "Device Actions" and "Removable Devices" (2)

-- Probing a little more deeply, I used the "kdesrc-build" script to compile /
run the System Settings program from KDE's source code (instead of using the
Gentoo package). Some help files are missing from this build, probably because
I haven't used kdesrc-build to compile the whole gamut of KDE applications.

Splash Screen (under "Appearance")
General Behavior and Activities (under "Window Behavior")
Shortcuts and Custom Shortcuts (under "Shortcuts")
Background Services and Desktop Session (under "Startup and Shutdown")
File Search (under "Search")
Spell Check and Date & Time (under "Regional Settings")
Accessibility (a major category with no sub-categories)
File Associations and Locations (under "Applications")
KDE Wallet (a major category with no sub-categories)
Keyboard, Mouse, and Game Controller (under "Input Devices")
Compositor  and Gamma  (under "Display  and Monitor")
Multimedia (a major category with no sub-categories)
Energy Saving, Activity Power Settings, and Advanced Power Settings (under
"Power Management")
Device Actions and Removeable Devices (under "Removeable Storage")
kw

-- Just to test my theory about the missing entries, I used kdesrc-build to
compile the kwalletmanager package. Sure enough, once I had done that, the
"Help" button in System Settings --> KDE Wallet (the version I compiled from
KDE sources)  brings up chapter 3 of the KWallet handbook.

OK, that's the background. Here are some questions.

-- Does anyone on this list have any idea how to add the 26 missing items to
the "System Settings Modules" list?

-- I've dug into the source code (a little), and it appears that the "System
Settings Modules" list is built after the KHelpCenter program starts up (i.e.,
it's not pre-compiled into the program). Any idea how that search works?
There's a vague description in the "README" file, but I can't quite figure it
out.

Thanks for the help. Since almost all the system documentation is accessed via
KHelpCenter, that program really ought to work better than it does.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas