Technical Writing / Updating Documentation

David Bryant david at davidcbryant.net
Wed Dec 28 17:51:04 GMT 2022

On Tuesday, December 27, 2022 2:02:26 PM CST Aaron L wrote:
> I updated my computer running KDE today and noticed under the help
> application the following:
>
> Multiple instances of Discover (showing it multiple times)

I have an instance of Kubuntu on my hard disk. The stock version showed four
copies of "Discover" in the Application Manuals --> System menu. I tracked
this down, and corrected it by editing 3 .desktop files.

In /usr/share/applications/{org.kde.discover.desktop,
org.kde.discover.snap.desktop, org.kde.discover.urlhandler.desktop}

Remove the line "X-DocPath=plasma-discover/index.html" from all three files.

After doing this, "Discover" only shows up once in Application Manuals -->
System.

Notice that the help file /usr/share/doc/plasma-discover/index.html does not
exist on my instance of Kubuntu. I poked around the KDE Gitlab and found the
Discover project, but there aren't any docbook files. So I guess the
documentation for Discover has never been written. I'm not real sure how the
.desktop files are generated; I only noticed one such file in the Gitlab repo.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas