[kde-doc-english] Small question about Kst documentation

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Tue Dec 2 18:39:35 UTC 2014

Am Montag, 1. Dezember 2014, 22:49:03 schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> Am Montag, 1. Dezember 2014, 22:35:09 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi Burkhard,
> >
> > I am considering adding some Kst documentation update tasks to this year's
> > Google Code-In. I have just checked quickly the current state of the
> > documentation generated from the old kst 1.X docbook files and I have the
> > following impressions: 1) The contents are still mostly interesting and
> > relevant but some parts need a substantial overhaul 2) All screenshots are
> > desperately outdated
> > 3) DocBook is not easy to work with, especially for newbies
> > 4) With the tutorials I recently uploaded on youtube
> > (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYlIZjLCWsDS6d3ghVZWrA) and the old
> > contents anybody with good English skills should be able to produce
> > something decent
> >
> > Based on that I would propose to move the contents from DocBook to ODT so
> > that anybody can edit them easily. But I am unsure whether this is the
> > most efficient approach, if in the end everything has to be ported back to
> > DocBook.
> >
> > I'd be interested by any experienced advice on how to go about it without
> > scaring new contributors away.

How do you want to call the documentation from kst, online (links to a Wiki
like Userbase) / offline - locally installed as docbook in khelpcenter (how does
this work for a qt only app) or as html pages to open in the default browser
or even as pdf?

You could try to use "docbook2odf" to convert the old docbooks, but I have
never used that and do not know if the results of the conversion are really
usable.

I agree with Yuri that Userbase might be the way to go.
We can convert Userbase wiki pages to docbook and use this format as source to
generate html/pdf/po files for translation etc.

--
Burkhard Lück