[kde-doc-english] [RFC] "Split or not to Split" that is the question ; -)

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Jan 1 22:35:55 UTC 2012

Hi translators and doc writers,

apparently for historical(?) reasons we have some documentions splitted into
several docbooks (calligra docs +konqueror/kopete/kppp/kmail/knode im kde* and
a lot of docs from extragear/playground).

Apart from where there are valid reasons to split a documentation (e. g.
kate/kwrite + dolphin/konqueror using a lot of shared docbooks) I see no
benefit to have a documentation splitted into several docbooks/docmessage.po's
- some of them actually less than 1000 Byte.

So from my PoV as doc writer and doc translator I'd prefer to have a single
docbook / docmessage.po for each application, Kate for docbooks and Lokalize
for docmessage.po's handle files with several thousand lines / messages quite
well and it is easier to keep consistency of docs wording/translations if
everything is only in one file.

Of course if it helps to keep a documentation up to date, I'm all for it to
splitt docbooks as necessary, but that's not my issue.

So my question is, what you prefer - one docbook/docmessages.po (as far as
possible/sensible) or splitted docbook/docmessages.po's?

Thanks.

Btw. a Happy New Year to all of you and especially to our famous translation
coordinator Albert with a very *big* "Thank You" for his incredible,
completely underestimated and mostly hidden work which makes our jobs as
translators as easy as possible.

--
Burkhard Lück