[kde-doc-english] KDE/kdebase/workspace/doc/kcontrol/colors

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 2 17:58:55 CEST 2009

While discussing the doc for the color kcm, Arturo brought up an
interesting point. I'd like to also ask y'all at -usability if you have
anything to add.

For reference, the latest doc version is here:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/doc/kcontrol/colors/index.docbook?view=markup

Arturo Silva wrote:
> The entire section from:

>     +  all, and can only be changed (if needed) by selecting the appropriate
>     +  set.</para>
>
> ...is not technically wrong -- in fact, it's admirably detailed.  However,
> it does seem like it goes into too great length to explain what Common
> Colors is, which, as I would describe it, is merely the "Simple View" of the
> Colors tab, whereas the View, Window, Button, Selection and Tooltip combined
> make up a kind of "Advanced View".
>
> Perhaps the detail is necessary after all since Common Colors is,
> unfortunately, mixed in with the other sets and easy to confuse as one.
>
> Perhaps this is really more of a UI issue, and could be fixed if that color
> set dropdown were replaced by a toggle between "Quickly Modify Common
> Colors" and "Fine Tune Color Sets", the latter of which would enable the
> dropdown with only View, Window, Button, Selection and Tooltip.

Hmm... that might work. On the down side, it is harder to "switch
modes"... but it might make things a bit less strange. Anyone else want
to weigh in?

(There are, in fact, some other advantages from a technical standpoint,
but nothing the user would notice.)

--
Matthew
Hey! Where's the witty punchline?