note on further KDE on cygwin development

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Sep 22 23:53:15 CEST 2005

Hi all,

in the last time there were some exiting and faster alternatives to the KDE on
cygwin port in using colinux (http://www.colinux.org) and xming
(http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming) the win32 based X-Server. Because they
provide are much easier way to run KDE application on windows, I thought
about the sense of the KDE on cygwin port, especially because a native KDE 4
port to windows is not far away. The result of this thoughs are that I will
stop further development of the kde-cygwin port because of:

- a side effect of the the ongoing transition to KDE 4 is that the releases
kde svn is partial unstable  (for example the autotool build system), which
require much more work to fix, I unfortunally don't have.

- there are trademark issues (initiated by trolltech) about the gpl'ed native
qt3-port, which makes further development for me personally somewhat
unsecure. (I hope that  this effects noone other working on the native qt3
port)

- The required time of porting and supporting the KDE on cygwin port may be
better used helping the KDE 4 windows port.

As summary I think that KDE on cygwin and the native gpl'ed qt3 port had
opened a wide door for getting a native KDE 4 on windows. But as anything in
this limited world has it's live time, KDE on cygwin' live time seems to be
over.

I like to thank all who had contributed to this project and worked hard to
make it possible. Everytime I think about what was reached, i'm very
impressed how the open source movement works.

-- Keep up the good work.