Can my application, which contains dirty code, become an official kde application?

Danilo Agostini kyre334 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:14:38 GMT 2024

> this looks like a cool project, congrats!

Thanks!

> It seems like what you would need is a way to obtain the currently
> selected file from Dolphin via DBus (without detouring through the
> clipboard). I don't think that exists right now, but it should be easy
> enough to add.

What would need to be added is:
1) a boolean to indicate whether a file has been selected or not: this is
necessary because the program changes its behavior depending on whether
something had been selected or not.
2) the file path, or the parent folder path if no file/folder was selected.
3) Although not necessary, it would be nice if dolphin provided a list of
the files sorted the same way they are sorted in the open folder.

There are probably also other things that would be good to add to allow
applications like mine, and not only, to integrate with Dolphin in a clean
way.

> I'd recommend you look at
> https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kio/html/classKIO_1_1PreviewJob.html.
> That's what Dolphin uses to create thumbnails and it has support for a
> huge variety of file types. While Dolphin typically generates rather
> small thumbnails it should be able to give you thumbnails of any
> requested size.

Thanks very much for the info!

For now I will focus on porting the application to Qt6/KF6 and then I will
see about making a feature request to the dolphin developers.
In any case, thanks again.