Can my application, which contains dirty code, become an official kde application?

Danilo Agostini kyre334 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 17:57:32 GMT 2024

> Isn't this in the similar realm as what we can do with thumbnailers
and/or kparts ?

The preview is larger and allows you to scroll through all the files in the
folder.
Example with another program of mine written in Python:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfPZ5dgIZs

I created this program (initially in python) to get better at programming
and because some people were used to Quick look/Gnome sushi and were not
satisfied with the thumbnails shown in dolphin.
Example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/165aqp8/any_kde_dolphin_replacment_sugestion_or_quick/

> I'd suggest to fix whatever limitations there is in Dolphin to not  have
> to do workarounds.

Unfortunately I don't have the skills now and that's why I had to use a
workaround to make it work.

> I don't think this as such is a bad idea except maybe ... doesn't this
> negate the whatever speedup you are trying to do with a 'quick preview'
> instead of launching the app when you now actually launch the app
> headless in the background ?

Yes, but for many documents it takes a second or so (with the libreoffice
flatpak package the time increases).

> I'm confused about when you use std::string and QString. It seems to be
> a bit random which one you pull out of the tool chest.

This is my first project in C++ and I learned the language while writing
this code.

> And std::thread and QThread.

Used to not block/slow down (I don't know a better word) the application
when loading a document and to insert a minimum waiting time before being
able to scroll to the next file.
The point of this application is to be able to scroll through the various
files without having to close and reopen the program.

> Also note that we are about to move everything to Qt6/KF6; This seems to
> be stuck on quite ancient frameworks and qt versions.

When I started creating this application, I followed an example in the
documentation on how to create an interface using Qml and Kirigami and I
believe I used the version of Qt5/KF5 used in that example.I had already
intended to port it to Qt6, but since I had no experience (I didn't even
know how to use Cmake), I decided to stick to the examples provided and the
code that was more available. This is also why, as you pointed out, there
are things that don't seem to make much sense and the code requires a
cleanup.

> Why are you using std::filesystem::__cxx11::path ? (Especially the
__cxx11 part)

std::filesystem::path : I needed to extract information from the file
(extension, name, parent directory, etc) and use
std::filesystem::directory_iterator.__cxx11 : hmm, I probably used Qt
creator's autocorrect/hint and made a mistake.

I will fix this part of the code in the future and remove what is not
necessary.

Thank you very much for pointing out some things that need improvement.

For now I think it's better if I port this application to Qt6/KF6 and
continue to improve it myself until I have more experience.
There are a lot of things that confuse me and I'm probably not ready to be
part of such a big project.

/Danilo