revisiting the sycoca

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Feb 13 12:13:40 GMT 2024

On 2024-02-08, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> It occurs to me that we should ponder sycoca a bit.
>
> Currently the sycoca contains 3 types of caches:

At some point I remember David Faure, iirc as part of his QMimeType
work, removed part of sycoca, but left the remaining bits as a per
user cache *because* we allow the user to modify things.

I don't know how much of it is still relevant, but I do think we should
be testing it, both on modern ssd systems, but given our occasional
marketing drive about keeping older systems running, especially also
on older systems with a spinning metal disk, rather than a bit handwavy
"This is probably going to be fine"

/Sune