Kandalf: request for review

Loren Burkholder computersemiexpert at outlook.com
Sat Dec 16 03:16:41 GMT 2023

I'm back again with more name ideas.

1. Alpaka. (h/t to Kevin Kofler for the suggestion) I've tended to veer away from names such as this, because there is a derivative of the Llama 2 model called "Alpaca". However, Alpaca is an open project built by some Stanford researchers, so I doubt that they would mind a similar name from us.
2. Orakle. This is pretty neat because it invokes the idea of an "oracle" that distributes wisdom; even if an LLM doesn't give out oracle-quality information, it's a fun image to have. The main problem with this name is Big Red; while Oracle is spelled differently, they do have AI products, so this could be a bad idea.

As a runner-up, I have "Newton". While Newton AI is already a company, I did like this because of William Wordsworth's quote about Isaac Newton: "A mind forever Voyaging through strange seas of Thought, alone.” This somehow seems to embody the technology of LLMs to me.

Please comment if you have any thoughts; if I don't get feedback on this, Alpaka will probably win by default.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Loren