Kandalf: request for review

Loren Burkholder computersemiexpert at outlook.com
Tue Dec 12 04:32:49 GMT 2023

On Thursday, December 7, 2023 10:28:48 AM EST Loren Burkholder wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been working towards getting Kandalf ready for integration into KDE (and I'd like to thank everyone who has pitched in to help me, mainly Laurent and redstrate). At this point, while the app is not necessarily feature-complete or fully polished, it's getting close to that point. Therefore, I'd like to officially request a review of Kandalf for inclusion in the KDE apps.
>
> You can reach me on Matrix at @lorendb:nheko.im for more instant communications.
>
> Thanks,
> Loren Burkholder

Hi all,

I've settled on "Kognos" as a good name for this app. (I'm not creative enough to come up with the name myself; fittingly, this name was generated by ChatGPT.) Only after I had already changed the sources to say "Kognos" instead of "Kandalf" did I think to look the name up online; it seems that there was a company called Kognos, but they were bought out and the name was retired a year or two ago, so I don't think that we're in danger of a naming collision. Furthermore, the US Patent and Trademark Office doesn't have Kognos listed as a registered trademark. With that being said, I'm all for staying within the law, so if you have legitimate reason to think that Kognos is not acceptable, let me know.

Thanks,
Loren