drkonqi's many debuggers

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Aug 29 09:58:43 BST 2023

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 28 August 2023 20:30:36 PDT Harald Sitter wrote:
> > I am not quite following. We can depend on any debugger we want,
> > surely? I mean, there are practical implications to consider for sure,
> > but gdb being the dominant debugger on Linux doesn't prevent us from
> > depending on lldb instead.
>
> It does because it might be missing in the system far more often than gdb.
> We'd get more backtraces and therefore more data if we focused on gdb
>
> Another point is that Linux distributions have been shipping gdb with
> debuginfod support for a year or two. lldb support for it is still pending:
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/52732
>
> Therefore, I repeat: if there's room for only one, it's gdb.
>
> If we do support both, then on Linux gdb must be used in preference.

As an additional note here, my preference would also be for gdb to be used,
if only because it is more reliable and dependable.

Currently we have special code in the CI tooling to ensure that stray lldb
processes left behind by unit tests on our FreeBSD CI workers are all
killed off.
Otherwise they sit there eating up an entire CPU core at 100% utilisation
until an admin logs in and kills them off.

Cheers,
Ben