Gitlab Turn-off Issues

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Sun Jun 28 23:40:35 BST 2020

On 6/28/20 2:29 PM, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> El dom., 28 de jun. de 2020 a la(s) 16:47, Nate Graham (nate at kde.org) escribió:

>>> As has been discussed *far too many times* already, we have NO
>>> INTENTION to replace Bugzilla at this stage.
>>> This matter has been discussed on many threads, including on this list
>>> in the past.
>>>
>>> Issues on Gitlab is intended to be the replacement for Phabricator Tasks.
>>> Disabling them would leave projects with no developer task management
>>> functionality, which would be highly undesirable as they are heavily
>>> used by a number of projects.
>>>
>>> Your request to disable them for all KDE projects is therefore declined.
>>
>> The problem with this approach is that users familiar with GitHub or
>> GitLab in other projects will not stop submitting bug reports using
>> GitLab issues as long as it's turned on in its current form
>
> Hmm... Users familiar with GitHub in other projects will not stop
> submitting pull requests on the KDE GitHub mirror as long as that's
> turned on, and GitHub doesn't even let us turn off pull requests.
> Should we get rid of the GitHub mirror? Or should we keep closing pull
> requests and telling people to send their patches to Invent instead?
> (This is only half-rhetoric, I actually wouldn't mind getting rid of
> the GitHub mirror :P)

Personally I wouldn't object, if we really can't turn off the pull
request feature. I don't see what the GitHub mirror is accomplishing,
other than confusing potential new contributors and wasting the time of
actual contributors who have to perform maintenance and close pull requests.

>> However the issue (har har) of users submitting bug reports and feature
>> requests using GitLab issues is not likely to disappear without some
>> kind of change.
>
> We can't easily change the label of the sidebar button. But what about
> a banner like this:
> https://invent.kde.org/games/kbounce/-/issues/new
>
> Do you think this would help?

Yes, I think it definitely would! Could we also customize the banner
per-project so that it pointed to the correct Bugzilla URL for that project?
That would be rad.

Nate