Installing qml caches

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Jun 5 08:44:24 BST 2018

On Monday, 4 June 2018 03:26:34 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Alexander Volkov <a.volkov at rusbitech.ru>
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It would be nice to install .qmlc files in addition to .qml files to
> > reduce
> > start-up time of applications.
> > They are generated with qmlcachegen. For Qt 5.11:
> > qmlcachegen -o example.qmlc qxample.qml
> >
> > Currently qml files are usually installed the following way:
> > install(DIRECTORY qml/ DESTINATION ${KDE_INSTALL_QMLDIR}/org/kde/kcm)
> >
> > So this could be changed to something like
> > ecm_install_qml(qml org/kde/kcm)
> >
> > I wonder whether someone already working on this or want to implement such
> > a function?
> > If not, I'll try to do it myself.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexander.
>
> I'm not sure this makes sense, as far as I know it's not a
> binary-compatible format, so distros would have to recompile every
> application with qmlc files upon Qt update.

It might indeed not be useful for distros, but it looks like an interesting
option to reduce the package size (as AFAIK we don't need to ship the qml
files anymore then) and improve the first start performance for our APKs for
example. Probably not the change with the highest impact/gain atm, but
nevertheless worth exploring IMHO.

Regards,
Volker