announcement: Kwave is in kdereview

Thomas Eschenbacher Thomas.Eschenbacher at gmx.de
Thu Oct 13 05:37:18 BST 2016

Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> [...]
> These warnings look like nice to fix
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: Could not initialize the equivalent properties of Q*Application: no instance (yet) existing.
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QCoreApplication::organizationDomain "kde.org" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().organizationDomain "sourceforge.net"
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QGuiApplication::applicationDisplayName "kwave" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().displayName "Kwave"
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QGuiApplication::desktopFileName "" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().desktopFileName "net.sourceforge.kwave"
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QCoreApplication::organizationDomain "kde.org" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().organizationDomain "sourceforge.net"
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QGuiApplication::applicationDisplayName "kwave" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().displayName "Kwave"
> kf5.kcoreaddons.kaboutdata: QGuiApplication::desktopFileName "" is out-of-sync with KAboutData::applicationData().desktopFileName "net.sourceforge.kwave"
>
> About -> kwave gives me a bunch of
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
> Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.

I am not aware of doing anything wrong in that place.
No idea why these things complain.
Bug in KF5 ?

> [...]
> Pressed File->record and i got
>    http://i.imgur.com/DUhCvVA.png
> I guess that's probably because that user doesn't have enough
> permissions to use some of the sound stuff that is neede, but a nicer
> error dialog would be really appreciated.

Interesting, I never had this. Could you please send me the complete
console output? Otherwise it is hard to do any diagnostics...

BTW: what about using https://sourceforge.net/p/kwave/bugs/ for all that?

> You don't seem to be using some of the nice stuff that KF5 provides, I miss the "Configure Shortcuts" dialog :/

That's just a lack of time and also nobody requested it so far. You can
file a feature request for that and I will take it up when I have some time.

-> https://sourceforge.net/p/kwave/feature-requests/

> valgrind did report some memory leaks in Kwave::MenuSub::insertLeaf
> and then there's a few in libasound that you may want to check if it
> is that you're forgetting to free/close some asound
> structures/something.

I guess these are false alerts, I get hundreds of these, especially from
all kinds of GUI elements. Qt, X11 and other libraries produce them when
shutting down, making valgrind for leak checking nearly useless. I tried
that several times and I already have an exlusion list which is pretty
long... but finally I gave it up.

regards,
   Thomas