KRecentDocument with backend plugins

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Feb 1 10:22:11 GMT 2016

Hi all,

We currently have two ways to track recent documents - KRecentDocument
and KActivities.

The later provides a more nuanced approach:

 - it records usage events per activity (document opened, closed,
etc.) which allows for different recent documents for different
activities - this is already used in Plasma's Kicker, Kickoff and the
task manager;
- it allows specifying which applications should be ignored (when the
user does not want images opened in gwenview from polluting the recent
documents list);
- it allows making an activity private. In this case no usage
statistics are collected.

I do not plan to make KRecentDocuments and KIO depend on KActivities,
but I would like to make KRecentDocuments plugin-based - something
like Qt's QPA. If the system is not KActivities-enabled it would
behave like it currently does; but on Plasma it would use KActivities
and would have the previously privacy benefits.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheerio,
Ivan

p.s. One more KIO component that might use the information about the
'private' mode is the PreviewJob - it might decide not to save
thumbnails in private activities.

--
KDE, ivan.cukic at kde.org, http://cukic.co/
gpg key id: 850B6F76