kapidox: supporting also QML (and cmake, Python,, ...)

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Tue Aug 2 11:41:29 BST 2016

Le 02/08/2016 à 02:59, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit :
> [...]
> To solve that, this could again perhaps be done by extending the metainfo.yaml
> spec, to allow specifying what interface "languages" are supported by a lib
> and from which sources the documentation for a certain language should be
> done.
> Knowing about the "language" should help tp improve the documentation
> generation and presentation on api.kde.org, so much better than Mainpage.dox-
> based hacks.
>
>> In my opinion, what is needed is just that the front page has links to
>> the QML/C++/Python/... documentation. Too many layers might make the
>> browsing too complex (too many clicks to get to the info).
> "Too many clicks" might depend on the starting point :) But does one not
> somewhere have to tell/choose (=click) whether to go for e.g. the QML or the C
> ++ API? Sane defaults at proper places could spare the additional click for
> most though.
>
>> I'm afraid that looking for the perfect solution is counter productive,
>> as nothing would happen until then. However what you raise makes sense:
>> I don't have any specifications about which direction to go, so I set
>> myself 1 task: generating the whole documentation (qch/man files and
>> searching process) with kapidox and only that, in order to cleanup the
>> api server.  Every other feature is done while discussing with projects
>> coming in.
>>
>> The system was designed for the Frameworks so it works well for it.
> Looking at Plasma Frameworks and how QML types and C++ classes are mixed
> together, as user of api.kde.org I have to disagree now, sorry :)
>
>>> For a solution:
>>> Perhaps at the generation side there could be another level right below
>>> the
>>> library, for the interface (C++, QML, CMake, ...).
>>> So "Product" > "Library" > "Interface",
>>>
>>> By the example of Plasma Components
>>> (https://api.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework) there would then be in
>>> the header>
>>>       KDE API Reference > The KDE Frameworks > Plasma > QML
>>>       KDE API Reference > The KDE Frameworks > Plasma > C++
>>>
>>> and in the left sidebar there would be another section "Language" (or
>>> better term) which would allow to switch to the docs for the other
>>> interfaces supported (C++, QML, CMake, ...).
>> To be honest, at the time of writing, I don't find it very good, because
>> you don't look for CMake or QML libs. You look for a way to do
>> something. In my opinion, the entry page should say "if you need to do
>> this, use our CMake macro described here". "If you want to draw this
>> type of interaction, our QML library described there is what you need'
>> and so on.
> Hm, what would be an alternative layout? "use our CMake macro described here",
> "our QML library described there" - where is that "here" and "there?
> Those info bits would be also on api.kde.org. In which organizational
> structure would it be presented, what do you think of?
"here" and "there" would be only links to the classes.

>> What I would propose is that we maybe have a discussion about that
>> during Akademy?
> While I might not make it there, I hope to see you doing a BoF on api.kde.org
> at Akademy, there should be more of us interested in enabling external people
> (well, and ourselves) to also use our developer-oriented KDE products - after
> all we are trying hard to make these "shared" libraries, my dear fellow KDE
> developers, so let's have more people working on that last mile of API
> documentation now and then! Join and support Olivier! :)
>
> Cheers
> Friedrich
Ok, I think this cannot be solved easily with an email discussion.
Akademy would be better of course. Additionally I don't see how the
entry point would be in the documentation, so I cannot propose something
easily to discuss and incrementally improve.

Cheers
Olivier