Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jan 24 14:24:28 GMT 2015

Hi!

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:12:07 +1300
Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
>
> It contains a detailed summary of what is broken with our existing
> systems, why change is necessary and an evaluation of the options we
> considered. We have also made a proposal based on our evaluations and
> the wishlist of functionality drawn up the community.
>
> Please find it attached - and let us know what you think. Feedback is
> welcome.

Thanks a lot for all your hard work. I think Phabricator definitely
looks much more newcomer-friendly on the surface than Gerrit, although,
knowing there is a web-form available for uploading diffs to Gerrit
(will that handle follow-up patches, too?) goes quite some way in
addressing the entry barrier issue.

But beyond review functionality, I think moving towards a more
integrated solution is clearly a step in the right direction, and this
is what makes the choice of Phabricator over Gerrit a clear case to me.

Also, definitely a huge thank you to Jan for investing so much work in
the Gerrit setup. Clearly that was in the hope of making Gerrit the
solution of choice, and I think we can all feel your pain, if that is
not going to be the case. But I don't think it would be the right way to
go for KDE.

Regards
Thomas