Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 06:50:05 GMT 2015

Ben Cooksley wrote:

Hello Ben,

> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.

I know I'm much less into coding than other people here (which are probably
far more knowledgeable), but in general the proposal seems very sane to me.

Assuming this proposal is accepted by the community at large, how can the
community help as well? Meaning, is there anything that can be done, given
that sysadmin resources are thin and already spread out?

That question aside, I have a question on the proposal itself: KDE uses both
Git and SVN, so my question is what will be done to ensure smooth transition
also of the SVN side (as the hooks are very old, IIRC, and do a lot of
things).

Also, can Phabricator be configured to do what our "hooklib.py" does here?
In particular license checks,source checks such as eol and so on?

Lastly, I assume that there is no plan to use the issue management of
Phabricator for now, with the exact rationale of when Redmine was chosen
(need to import existing database, size of said database...). I have no
issue with it, but perhaps it should still be pointed out.

Thanks for all your work.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter