Changes to our Git infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 21:36:22 GMT 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:15 AM, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2015 15:31:26 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> (...excellent summary of discussion...)
>>
>> Commentary on the above would be appreciated.
>
> There are two questions which aren't addressed int he summary, but which I
> think are important to have good answers for before we can take a decision.
>
> The first question is: Who do we want to address? We obviously want to address
> existing contributors and for that the list represents the needs quite well.
> But to what degree do we want to address new contributors? Collecting
> requirements on kde-core-devel won't give us the input we need, if we want to
> address people who are not already part of our community.

Good point. Traditionally we've addressed the requirements of new
contributors by keeping the barrier to entry "low".
Considering we have all passed the barrier though it is a bit hard to
see potential trip points ourselves I think.

May I suggest we look at the pad Boud posted as a starting point for that?

> The second question is: What are our requirements for hosting? Do we want to
> host it ourselves, or would we be ok with a third party hosting the
> infrastructure as well, and under which conditions?
>
> Both questions are related to GitHub, which has been mentioned in the
> discussion quite a bit. It would address a lot of our requirements and it is
> something especially new contributors are familiar with.
>
> I'm not saying we should simply move to GitHub, but as it is brought up so
> often, we maybe should review our position, and make sure that we know why we
> are not going with the flow, and why we are paying the price of a higher
> barrier of entry and the additional effort of hosting our own infrastructure.
>
> --
> Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org>

Cheers,
Ben