Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 8 03:23:38 GMT 2015

On Monday 07 December 2015 21:36:13 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> You also may have some (personal, at least) data on relevant MSVC 2013 is in
> practice? Because every gcc in the wild as well as clang should be able to
> handle C99 - and so should MSVC 2015 and the intel compiler(s of the past).
> Afaics, MSVC 2013 is the deal breaker here; but no warranty on that
> statement...

MSVC 2013 has good support for C99. MSVC 2012 does not.

I should point all that MSVC has supported // comments in C sources since
before it was known as Visual.

But that's not the problem. The problem is the C99 Library, which MSVC did not
support until 2013 and it only did so because C++11 imported it by reference.

Microsoft does not care for C. They didn't implement C99 because they didn't
want to, not because their compiler team was unable to.

So my recommendation: write C++ code.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358