Using Gerrit for code review in KDE

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Mon Sep 15 23:32:54 BST 2014

On Monday, 15 September 2014 16:49:39 CEST, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Where do I see the diff there?

For me, it's easiest to just click on any file name. That will open a diff
view (either side-by-side or a unidiff one, based on your prefs). The diff
shows just a single file, but you can use "[" and "]" for switching to
next/previous one. Use "?" for help. "u" goes back to the change screen.

> In the gerrit that runs on qt-project, I can
> easily click one button to go to a unified or side-by-side diff
> view. Is that a custom extension?

What the qt-project.org has implemented as a custom extension is support
for showing multiple files at once on a single page. That's what the
upstream Gerrit doesn't support yet (there are open patches pending review
and/or future work, though).

> Generally, it seems as if the qt-project gerrit has a much
> cleaner GUI. I'm pretty lost when looking at the one up there...

To make matter more interesting, Gerrit the upstream has switched to a "new
change UI" a couple releases ago, and it's a default view on KDE's Gerrit.
While you can still activate the old change screen in your per-user
settings, I would recommend against it as upstream is pretty open about
their plans to remove the old change screen in a future release.

I understand how someone who is used to working with Qt's Gerrit (and who
invested time into learning its quirks) might find the new change screen
unintuitive. However, it was pretty easy to unlearn the old habits for me,
to get used to a new location of various buttons, and now I can manage with
the new one just fine. I eve nlike it more than the old view.

Since Gerrit has a full-blown API for basically every feature, what about a
GSoC project for making, say, a KDevelop plugin for making code reviews?
With per-selection-range commenting, review browsing and what not?

Hope this helps,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/