desktoptojson and list properties / i18n of JSON files

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Nov 21 10:38:34 GMT 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 20:18:29 Burkhard Lück wrote:

> > > In kf5 using "LANGUAGE=foo kate" or LANGUAGE=foo kdevelop" (both
> > > projects
> > > do  not install desktop files but use json files generated at build time
> > > from desktop files)  I see the name/description (from the json files) of
> > > plugins in the settings dialog translated in language "foo".
> > >
> > > So apparently in kf5 using json files with translated Name/Description
> > > as
> > > provided by Kevin's example kdevpatchreview.json I get the proper
> > > translations  in the GUI.
> > > Please check that, you do not need to have language "foo" installed,
> > > just
> > > launch kate or kdevelop using x-test/uk/de/fr... as value for "foo".
> > >
> > > If that works we could treat json and desktop files in the same way from
> > > devel/translators pov, because what is the difference between desktop
> > > and
> > > json  files?
> > > Name and format, nothing else.
> >
> > The json embedded in plugins is created using the desktoptojson tool. This
> > tool runs at build time, it converts a .desktop file (including its
> > translations) to a .json file, which is then embedded into the plugin
> > binary. This tool has only limited understanding of list properties (this
> > limitation is what Milian's problem triggering this thread is about). An
> > idea is to not do a conversion, but rather add a json file to the
> > repository, which can directly be included. Since translations are done in
> > the .desktop file, the json file would not be translated. This is the root
> > of the problem.
>
> Please launch "LANGUAGE=nl kdevelop" or "LANGUAGE=nl kate" in Konsole.
> Do you have translated Names/Description in the settings dialog page
> Plugins?

Again, and sorry for not making myself clear, this problem is only secondary
about translations, it's mainly about the metadata in the plugins being wrong
for custom keys that use a list, i.e. QStringLists.

Fixing localization in kdevelop is really a different issue -- not less
important, just different.

cheers,
--
sebas