Moving Baloo forward

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 08:55:34 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-01-29, 00:06:11, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> I don't think it makes sense to work around a social problem (uneducated
> users) by using an inferior and much more complex technical solution
> (some database instead of xattrs). IMHO the advantages of using xattrs
> (e.g. we get easy synchronization and backup of metadata for free)
> outweigh the possibility that some people might inadvertently publish
> private metadata. People need to be educated that they have to use their
> brains when they share stuff. And we need to make sharing stuff (with
> built-in privacy protection) as easy as possible.

As you pointed out below, most sharing technologies automatically discard
xattrs anyway.

The only sharing option that would not that I can come up with is having a
shared directory on a filesystem with xattrs support.
The question for that is whether it is not the administrator responsibility to
set it up without xattrs support if privacy between sharing parties is a
concern.

> Moreover, the risk for privacy is significantly lower than with metadata
> that is stored in the file itself (as in your MS Word document example).
> In contrast to metadata stored in MS Word documents, metadata stored in
> xattrs will not be leaked if you share the file via mail or by uploading
> it to Facebook or by copying it on a (FAT32-formatted) USB-stick.
> Apparently, Dropbox supports xattrs, but IMHO it's Dropbox's
> responsibility to provide a setting to disable synchronization of file
> metadata.

My guess would be that DropBox or any other synchronisation service only does
that for sync clients, not when enabling "outside" access to the same data.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring