Moving Baloo forward

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Tue Jan 28 21:06:45 GMT 2014

Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2014, 20:10:13 schrieb Ivan Čukić:
> > To move a file to another machine and have the metadata be copied and re-
> > indexed on that new machine as well. The copy process just needs to take
> > care of transfering the xattr. This can even work when using a USB stick
> > or so as interim medium.
>
> I'm all for xattrs, but this thread really raises a nice question of which
> annotations/tags/whatever should be public and which should not.

IMHO the default should be "privacy first". Probably everyone of us has laughed
about someone who accidentially published either metadata or deleted text
(remember MS Word document history or something)? I'm absolutely fine if you
want this that you do this. But most people will not be aware of it, even less
of the implications. So it should be deactivated by default and only activated
explicitely.

Eike