Moving Baloo forward

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Jan 28 13:13:01 GMT 2014

Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2014, 08:03:54 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> Am Freitag, 24. Januar 2014, 15:59:12 schrieb Vadim Zhukov:
> > >
> > > This should be "worst case", I think. In the best case, there's xattr
> > > support, meaning another code path isn't needed.
> >
> > It's doubtful at least whether xattr support is a good thing, because
> > it's too easily gets misused: for example, there were viruses on
> > Windows which effectively hidden themselves in NTFS streams. And there
> > are personal data leaking issues I've pointed out earlier. But the
> > question "xarttrs: to be or not to be everywhere" is totally offtopic,
> > because it's what OS developers should decide.
>
> I am against storing metadata in xattrs, but more for personal opinion than
> for anything I can express in technical terms. What could be done and which
> uses xattrs for what I seem them for is to just store a unique identifier in
> the xattrs (e.g. a GUID) which makes it easier to map the file to its
> metadata in the database, maybe together with some sort of checksum to
> detect modifications. That way no accidential information leak will happen
> if that thing is copied elsewhere.

Storing metadata in xattrs makes a really nice feature possible:

To move a file to another machine and have the metadata be copied and re-
indexed on that new machine as well. The copy process just needs to take care
of transfering the xattr. This can even work when using a USB stick or so as
interim medium.

A database ID would not be sufficient for that.

Actually I very much like that as a feature. With current Nepomuk I expect to
loose any key words and other metadata when I transfer some files to another
machine. Of course, if its just my user data I can also transfer my complete
home directory when migrating to a new box. But any exchange of data between
users will use any and all metadata that is not directly stored in the file
unless they are transferred somehow like via xattr.