Qt 5.3 to log all debug/warning/error messages to journald on systemd systems

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jan 24 17:41:15 GMT 2014

On sexta-feira, 24 de janeiro de 2014 10:07:34, David Faure wrote:
> I don't want to prevent progress, but what I'm missing in this thread is a
> reason WHY to use journald. Filtering? grep can do that too, on ~/.xsession-
> errors.

One of the first patches to Qt that MeeGo carried was an option to move all Qt
warnings to the syslog. That helped device developers find out which
applications were producing warnings and needed fixing.

This is exactly why Jolla did the same patch for journald. That patch has been
accepted into Qt.

The question I brought up is whether we should enable it by default. Also note
that all applications connected to a tty will still get output fed to a
stderr, so developers will see their warnings.

Querying journald is apparently easier than grepping stderr. Systemd also
causes the stderr of applications it launches to be redirected into journald,
but it loses a bit of information there -- you can't tell one program from a
child process it launched.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358