Qt 5.3 to log all debug/warning/error messages to journald on systemd systems

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 21 16:16:14 GMT 2014

On terça-feira, 21 de janeiro de 2014 13:55:15, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> One thing that may concern me is how to clean the system from debugging
> messages then. Sometimes applications go rogue on qDebug() (recent example
> the message from QPainter in Qt5, which has just been fixed), so the
> journal will end up pretty big, and also in the home directory.
>
> I like how it's easy to delete all that spam with just one file. I would not
> quite like it to end up on my / partition, since that one is usually pretty
> small, and it can prevent the system from booting when the journal is
> filled up.

Most people don't know how to clean ~/.xsession-errors either. The best and
easiest way to clean it is to log out and then log in again. Deleting the file
is *not* enough, since it stays existing until the last application using it
exits.

The correct way to shrink the file while running is:

	echo > ~/.xsession-errors

But no, I don't know how to clean the journal log. That's a good question.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358