Moving Baloo forward

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Jan 21 12:08:16 GMT 2014

On Tuesday 21 January 2014 12:37:14 Jaime wrote:
> 2014/1/21 Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in>
>
> > On Tuesday 21 January 2014 02:24:01 Francesco R. wrote:
> > > just always use an additional database, xattrs are not the way to go.
> > > Managing xattrs require a conscious user, many programs by default don't
> > > even copy xattrs.
> >
> > Plus, with extended attributes the metadata is never lost. With the
> > additional
> > database, if the file is moved to a place which is not tracked, then the
> > data
> > will be lost.
> >
> > I'm just curious, the additional database uses the filename or a hash of
>
> the file content as the key for the metadata?

Currently we have one sqlite db which is responsible for mapping file urls <->
integer identifiers. We also install inotify watches on EVERY folder in your
home directory. When a file moves the db is updated.

This unique integer identifier (henceforth called file id), is used to map the
indexed data to the file.

When this "alternate" database will be used to store tags, ratings, etc
instead of xattr, at that time this file id will be used to uniquely identify
the file.

--
Vishesh Handa