Changes to branch management

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 12:37:44 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 12:04:22 CEST, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> The first seems the least contentious: allowing all developers to
> delete branches on our mainline repositories, except for certain
> protected branches (like "master" and "KDE/*" for instance).
>
> Any suggestions or variations on this?

Given that the current git infrastructure is there to stay for a while,
adding support for this makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

Right now we all have a technical access to create arbitrary branches. It
makes sense to abolish the current rule that only a repo owner can delete
them. That said, is it OK from a "cultural" point of view if I as a KDE
developer go ahead and work directly in some project's feature branch? IMHO
that makes sense, "increases collaboration" and what not, but I also think
that this should be clearly documented and communicated well so that people
aren't surprised.

Looking ahead long-term, I envision a system where it doesn't really matter
where people do not have to create feature branches. They simply push their
changes up for a review, and they are tracked as if it was a feature
branch. However, this won't get adopted anytime soon, so +1 for enabling
branch deletion, +1 for discouraging the use of personal clones, +1 for
working with feature branches right within a project's repo.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/