Silence Zuul?

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Tue Dec 16 22:33:55 GMT 2014

(Adding kde-core-devel as this is a global Gerrit thing.)

On Tuesday, 16 December 2014 23:01:44 CEST, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Would it be possible and make sense to have the build service
> send mails only
> a) on failure

We could do that, the options are at [1]. However, see below.

> b) to the committer(s)?

This one is easy, patch under review at
https://gerrit.vesnicky.cesnet.cz/r/247 . (At least the docs say it's
supposed to be done like that.)

> The Zuul state is hinted on the webpage anyway and nobody is
> really interested in "yes, builds as expected" mails

I actually find these e-mails handy during my work with OpenStack's Gerrit
review. Because their CI process doesn't always give feedback in matter of
minutes unlike our current lightly-loaded over-provisioned system, I do not
mind getting a confirmation of "yes, this works". I suppose this would be
less-so if I was more familiar with their environemnt and tests, but as a
newbie, I like it.

> and if it doesn't build, that would mostly concern the author. If one has
> trouble to resolve build issues, one can still ask explicitly.

Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense, and I agree with that change.

> In addition, it seems reasonable to me to mail out changes only
> after they've been successfully built.

I'm afraid that's impossible without custom code.

Cheers,
Jan

[1] https://gerrit.vesnicky.cesnet.cz/r/Documentation/cmd-review.html

--