Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 12 12:24:04 GMT 2013

hi ...

just replying to k-c-d because i loath massively-cross-posted email discussions.

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:46:53 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Each of these problems is independently solvable without RDF.

ah, how wonderful.

what you describe is amazingly similar to the system Wheeler and I came up with during the very
first Akademy. if you’re ever interested in what ever became of that, remind me over a coffee/beer
sometime and i’ll put on my old-man pants and recount the ol’ days. ;)

> After a month of designing the solution and a month of implementing it,
> Baloo
> is working way better than Nepomuk does. So, I'd like to switch to Baloo by
> default in 4.13, while keeping Nepomuk in maintenance mode for more
> conservative distributions.

how does one switch to Baloo in a sane fashion?
(so we can help test and perhaps even work on integration elsewhere. i don’t care about migration
..))

what is the Baloo equivalent of the Nepomuk API currently in kdelibs?
(i’ve looked in the ballo repo, it isn’t clear at first glance)

> This is not a completely new project as large parts of Baloo code are
> derived from Nepomuk and therefore comes with years of testing and real
> world use.

i’ll say it again here so that it is at least on record: i really disagree with renaming Nepomuk. call it
Nepomuk 2 or whatever, but tossing aside name recognition and years of messaging is doing the
promo teams a massive disservice.

i hope that Baloo remains a technology name well hidden from both users and developers.

> Migration - There will be an automated migration mechanism for migrating
> tags,
> ratings and comments from Nepomuk to Baloo.

cool

> Another thread can be started about its different aspects once
> you've read the basic ideas behind Baloo

i’ve done so and even looked briefly at the code. where do you want the discussion to occur? i have
some technical questions already :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo