QtScript considered dangerous

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri May 25 20:42:50 BST 2012

Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>> On Friday, May 25, 2012 11:14:17 Dominik Haumann wrote:
>> > So it's probably non-trivial to create this patch (haven't looked
>> > into
>> > it, though), a dead end as it's Qt4, and unclear, whether such a
>> > patch
>> > would be accepted at all in the Qt 4.x line, given that the focus
>> > is
>> > on Qt5 now.
>>
>> And it's unclear, whether a jsc update would fix the issue, btw :-)
> Still, a fix for QtScript would be the nicest solution or a port to the
> "new" engine provided in Qt5, as I understood, there QtScript is anyway
> "deprecated" in favour of the V8 based new variant?

Nope. QtScript might be 'done' - meaning no one is working on it and there's
no replacement. The v8 stuff is not public API like QtScript is, so it is
not a replacement.

> But does the new engine provide the same nice features to easily wrap your
> objects and expose a custom API?

Yes. That's how QtDeclarative works. As it's internal, non-public API, that
doesn't really matter much.

Maybe a public API will be created to replace QtScript eventually though...

Thanks,

Steve.