Hunting a memory leak in KMail

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 22:48:57 BST 2012

For some time I have been experiencing a memory leak that makes KMail go up to
1,5Gb of ram when using it for a long period of time, Volker saw it with his
own eyes and we even tried to valgrind it.

I have been using KMail while keeping an eye in ksysguard and I think I know
where the leak is (or at least one of them).

Each time I click in an email, memory is leaked, not much but it can be
appreaciated if you do:

0-Open system activity and take a look at KMail's RAM
1-Enter into a folder with some emails (more than 100?)
2-Click on one email
3-Long press N (Next email)
4-See how memory increase

Changing between folders (I know KMails cache some data) doesn't reduce the
amount of memory used.

Can anyone reproduce this?