DrKonqi improvement idea

Teemu Rytilahti tpr at iki.fi
Mon Mar 12 21:20:20 GMT 2012

Niko Sams wrote:

>> Personally I'd go for a solution that also tries to register the last 20
>> keystrokes and 20 mouse clicks (qt global event listener) and if and when
>> a crash occurs that info can be send with the backtrace.  So even if
>> there are no debug packages installed we get some info to do data-mining
>> on.
> That would provide useful information? I guess it depends on the
> application and bug.

In some cases yes, though not sure about how the probable privacy issues
could be handled nicely there in a way to not make people to avoid using it.
Not sure how useful it'd be for crashes, and sorry for hijacking the topic
for a bit again, in some cases a screenshot showing the problem would be
nice. Perhaps the report dialog could allow one to take a screenshot and
annotate it someway, just to make it clearer for triagers and developers
what's the intention :-)

>> Either case, I'd think you want something custom written. Its not too
>> much work to do the basics and maybe we can steal some code that compares
>> backtraces and steal some ideas or code for on-disk data-store of those
>> backtraces.
> +1
> The existing solutions are very complex and have lots of features. And
> they solve different
> use cases.

Have you already looked into traceparser (or any other similar system) to
see how it does the tricks? Just wondering if code from there could be
reused.

--
Best Regards,
Teemu Rytilahti