hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jan 12 21:50:24 GMT 2012

On Thursday 12 January 2012, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 12 January 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Our distributions will ship 4.8 together with 4.8 and this
> > combination might just be untested by the maintainers. So I
> > strongly suggest that we make Qt 4.8 a dependency for master just
> > to get the code tested and fixed before distros use it.
> >
> > So unless there is a good reason why not to increase, I would like
> > to see master depend on Qt 4.8.
>
> yep, that is the most valid reason imo, distribution will have 4.8,
> no matter what

That's no valid reason. Distributions shipped kdepim 4.4 together with
Qt 4.7. Still we never made Qt 4.7 a hard requirement for kdepim 4.4.

If you want developers to switch to Qt 4.8 to get the KDE code better
tested with this version of Qt then simply ask developers to do so. I
see no good reason to force developers to do so.

Regards,
Ingo