From kdelibs4 to KDE frameworks... how to make KDE more cross platform...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 22:11:58 GMT 2012

On Saturday 11 February 2012, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KDE is based on Qt, and Qt is very cross platform.
> While there are Windows and also OSX builds of KDE4, they are not
> really successful.
> I mean, it's not like everybody is running amarok today under
> Windows, or kate, or kdevelop, or digikam, kmail, etc.
> Some applications decided to go Qt-only for their Windows versions,
> e.g. Marble.
>
> At FOSDEM I talked with Pau, and he said one thing that scares
> Windows users are (beside the huge downloads tdue to the many
> dependencies) that running a KDE application needs several helper
> processes running:
> 1. DBUS
> 2. kdeinit
> 3. klauncher
> 4. kded
> 5. kuiserver
>
> So, can we cut down this number ?

Are there more important reasons than "it scares Windows users"? Windows
does already run so many services on its own. Why do a few more
processes matter? Why do the users care anyway? IMNSHO, they should stop
looking at their task manager or process explorer and simply use the
applications. Or not use them if they are too scared. Did any Linux user
complain about too many running processes?

If those few processes do already bother them then I guess they will go
completely nuts if they see that KMail+Akonadi runs 10+ processes.

Regards,
Ingo