Setting up a Quality Team within KDE

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Apr 12 21:26:33 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 21.01.53 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> We use Squish at work and it works well.

I've been on many projects and often the project manager thinks they need
squish, but in the end it just doesn't have any positive impact on the product
or the quality.
The most recent project I was on for almost a year had a whole testing team
and they have tried to get our Qt app to be tested using squish, this is a
project that followed very specific UI specifications so its a dream to have the
squish kind of testing for it.
In the end it was hardly used for mostly technical reasons, and we never got
to a point where we had a positive report of a regression. And we certainly
had regressions ;)  The tool just never found them.

Its not squish itself thats a problem per sé, its the concept of testing the
way the application looks which is broken by design.  I think it would be good
to avoid spending resources on this.
--
Thomas Zander