US Week Numbers - USian Advice Needed

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Thu May 5 02:04:05 BST 2011

On 4 May 2011, at 3:03 PM, John Layt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing support for US week numbers, but there's conflicting
> information on the great interweb tubes as to what the standard is.
>
> Some sources say the US Standard is Week 1 is from Jan 1 to the first Saturday
> of the year (which may be less than 7 days) then each following week starts
> from Sunday.
>
> Other sources say Week 1 starts on the first Sunday in the year, with the days
> preceeding it being labelled either Week 0 or the last week of the previous
> year.
>
> Finally there's some suggestion the US military uses simple week numbering,
> i.e. week 1 starts on Jan 1 and lasts 7 days, with each week following in
> order.
>
> All 3 may even be in regular use and so all will require support.
>
> A lot of this confusion seems to stem from our dear friends in Redmond who's
> aversion to standards leaves them equally unable to correctly implement the US
> Week as the ISO Week.
>
> Beatings with the clue-stick gratefully received.
>
> John.

<ducking and bowing out of the whole "USian vs. American" discussion....>

John,

While I'm odd and view the week as starting on Monday (don't ask, don't want a debate on my views...) the common perception in the US is that the first full week of January is week 1.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Developer and Project Lead for the AltimatOS open source project

Please avoid sending me MS Office attachments.