A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:10:29 GMT 2011

Christoph Feck wrote:

> I am all for splitting KDE libraries, but I wasn't aware that we are
> "already" doing it; it looked like KDE 5 material to me.

Well, there is the Platform 11 sprint to get people together thinking about
kdelibs modularisation. That's this summer, so we're already thinking about
it long before KDE5.

And we have to. Qt has its own release cycle. If we don't start thinking
about this stuff now we will end up with an idea for KDE5 which requires
stuff in Qt that nobody tried to put in there, and that gets vetoed/rejected
when attempting to put it in. Qt won't magically grow features that KDE
needs.

Lets get stuff in there/rejected/vetoed now so that KDE5 is just a
'deprecate old stuff, use Qt stuff that we worked on getting in there' step
to the extent possible.

I figure there's no harm in not waiting until the summer and started on the
mailing list now. At the very least it's discussion points for the summer
sprint.