Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 06:21:44 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But how would a similar work flow except there are multiple fixes
>> present in the local repo ? How would you push only a single fix in
>> such case ?
>
> git rebase -i origin   #Bring up a list of your changes.
>
> <Reorder them in the editor so that the commit you want to push is at
> the top of the list, save>
>
> <Fix any conflicts that might have arisen because you reordered the commits>
>
> git pull --rebase   #make sure we are up to date
>
> git log      #copy the SHA of the commit you want to push up to
>
> git push origin SHA:head   #paste the SHA that you just copied where I
> wrote "SHA"
>

> Does that make sense?  There are other ways to do it, but this way
> avoids most of the common problems.

Yes. Great. IMHO that type of documentation is what is needed in techbase.

One question though... why would i need to do git rebase -i origin if
I always do git pull --rebase in the first place ? Wouldn't simply
following the steps you mentioned after "git pull --rebase" suffice
since I am going to be using the commit SHA to do the push ?