proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 18:52:10 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2011-02-01, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Yeah, and because of this requirement, which I can agree on, I didn't
> > remove it from kdelibs, as its public API and I wanted to be SC + BC. And
> > no, runtime components moving to other modules is not a SC/BC problem.
>
> While it is SC/BC, it changes the contents of the kdelibs package.
> Either packagers put in extra effort of extracting the now missing parts
> from Kate and add them as dependencies to kdelibs or they create a new
> version of kdelibs which no longer satisfies the dependency rules of all
> applications packaged against the old one (or with even more effort adding
> the old kdelibs package as an alternative for all program packages that do
> not use the runtime dependency).

This is about removing libktexteditor, installed currently by kdelibs, from
kdelibs, and moving it into the kate repository, right ?

This would be a source incompatible change.

find_package(KDE4 REQUIRED)
add_executable(Foo ${mySrcs})
target_link_libraries(Foo ${KDE4_KTEXTEDITOR_LIBS})

-> does not work anymore, because you cannot rely on that libktexteditor is
there if kdelibs has been found.

So, from my POV, this can't be done for KDE 4.x.y.

Alex