RFC: Creation of a new KDE SC module [kdeplugins]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 12 02:21:36 BST 2010

On Sunday 10 October 2010, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2010-10-09, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> > btw: a module is a logical grouping; a community; a way for packagers and
> > users to differentiate programmatic elements.
>
> I'm not sure I see the logical grouping of plugins together.
>
> I see the logical grouping of 'konqueror plugins' together. Or Okular
> plugins. or. or. or.
>
> But I honestly don't see what a konqueror plugin has to do with a plugin
> for <other app>

Yep, I agree with this.

After today's IRC discussion, I'm rather thinking of moving these plugins to
kdebase/apps/konqueror-plugins.

For developers: it ties to the kdebase version, and it's compiled as part of
kdebase, so we prevent the explosion in the number of toplevel modules.

For the release team: no change (this is just some more code getting into the
kdebase-apps tarball).

For packagers: it can be splitted out, like most distros already split out one
tarball into N binary packages.

(An alternative we discussed was a kdebase/konq-plugins tarball, but this
gives nothing more to developers, more work to the release team, and little
benefit to packagers. It also makes little sense in the current kdebase
organization, why should all apps be in one tarball, but some plugins for one
app in another. The kdebase submodules are not such fine-grained tarballs after
all, or we'd have one per application.)