Fwd: User bus conclusion

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Nov 9 23:29:32 GMT 2010

D-Bus community is proposing to do away with the session bus and replace it
with a user bus. Long story short, this means that multiple logins of the same
user are not allowed by construction.

Is this something we allow or even support in KDE?

My first reaction to Ryan's email was to say that we do not want the new
feature. Services like KWallet would show the password dialog in possibly the
wrong X display, klauncher-launched applications would show up in the wrong X
display, etc., so it would be unusable.

However, on second thought, I came to the conclusion that running two
instances of kwalletd would be a problem of itself: the two wallets trying to
have write access at the same time could end up stepping over each other's
toes, causing data loss (one of the instance's changes or, worse, all of the
data).

So I have to ask again: do we allow or support multiple logins of the same
user, on the same machine (same $HOME)?

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358